วันเสาร์ที่ 19 พฤศจิกายน พ.ศ. 2565

A personal letter from from News Letter editor Ben Lowry

News Letter Morning View: Let the football at the World Cup transcend the controversies around Qatar 2022
 
 
     
   
     
  I N S I D E R  
     
  Nov 19, 2022  
     
 
Ben Lowry
 
Ben Lowry
Editor

Good Morning

When I was younger I gave little thought to Remembrance Day.

 
 
My great uncle, who died in Thessaloniki, was just a black and white photograph. As I got older I began to reflect with horror that someone so close, dad's uncle died. I remembered him on Sunday.
 
After Remembrance Day it gets even darker in Northern Ireland yet I had a pleasing weather experience this week. I was on a video call with sister newspapers across the UK and they were saying how wet it was. Yet in greater Belfast it was almost sunny!
 
That band of rain stayed offshore for us on Thursday.
 
I went to book a car for MOT last month and already some centres only had slots in March, so I do hope the MOT centres get over their high sickness rates
 
If not it will revive the call for NI to let private garages test cars like in England. I prefer our system because I tend to drive good but very old cars that last. And with the state MOT system you have a neutral assessor, not someone who is angling for your business, so I give the car a service, then see if it passes, and if not I know what is really wrong with it.
 
There has been another attempt to kill PSNI
 
We can only hope that the low incidence of serious attacks reflects poor terrorist capabilities.
 
Protocol problems - again
 
I am deeply saddened by the death of the ever warm and knowledgeable Eamon Phoenix. I first met him in December 2001, covering the newly released cabinet papers in the old public records office in Balmoral

--

Ben Lowry
Editor
 
 
     
 
Let the football at the World Cup transcend the controversies around Qatar 2022
 
Let the football at the World Cup transcend the controversies around Qatar 2022
 
Read more +
 
Flooding
 
The Irish language is not part of our unionist culture
 
Read more +
 
     
  Ben Lowry: Stormont is said to be essential, yet it seems unable to handle health  
     
  Ben Lowry: Stormont is said to be essential, yet it seems unable to handle health  
     
  Read more +  
     
     
 
 
     
     
  Subscribe today  
     
 
Subscribe
 
Full access
 
Subscribe for unlimited access to all our articles, 70% fewer ads, daily puzzles and our desktop & mobile app. Your first month free . Cancel anytime.
 
 
 
Subscribe
 
Gift access
 
Give someone a subscription for a year's unlimited access to all our articles, 70% fewer ads, daily puzzles and our desktop and mobile app. From just £94.90 for 12 months. 
 
 
     
     
   
 
 
   
 
You have received this email as you have an opted in to exclusive Insider communications from the News Letter, published by National World Publishing Ltd. To manage your individual newsletter preferences with us, please click here and log in to your account.
 
 
Alternatively, update your global email preferences with us to choose the types of emails you receive from National World Publishing Ltd or unsubscribe from all types of future emails.

 
 
National World Publishing Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales with registered number 11499982, having its registered address at No 1 Leeds, 4th Floor, 26 Whitehall Road, Leeds, England, LS12 1BE, United Kingdom.

We will process your personal data in accordance with our Privacy notice.
 

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น